10 Things You Need To Know About Bridesmaid Dress Shopping
(These are in no particular order but are all things you need to know NOW!)
- Make the bridesmaid dress shopping extravaganza all about your girls! Yes, the dress they will be paying for will be for your wedding, and so will just about everything else that you will be doing in the next 6 months to a year. Give them this day; make it as lighthearted and fun as you can!
- Pick a date & stick to the schedule. Getting the girls together can be an agonizing task in itself. They all work, have families and their own things going on. The more accommodating you are to their schedules, the happier they will be to come shopping with you and spend a little bit cash on your big day.
- MAKE APPOINTMENTS. I cannot stress this enough! The worst feeling for employees at a wedding salon is when they have a large party walk in their doors and they do not have the room or the staff to accommodate them at that time. Turning away brides and their besties is an awful feeling for the salon and also for the bridal party! Don’t make this mistake, make appointments so the salons are expecting you and are prepared for your visit. This will ensure that you can stick to your own personal schedule for the day and also that you and your gals will receive the utmost service from the boutique or salon.
- Do some pre-shopping research. This will ensure the best shopping experience. It will also give the consultant assisting you a better idea of your wedding and what you are looking for. This will save time and save your bridesmaids from trying on dresses that you would never pick in 100 years! Now, don’t get me wrong, it is pretty fun to experiment while bridesmaid dress shopping, but have an idea of what you are looking for. Trust me.
- Modesty is left to your discretion. Even if you make an appointment and tell the salon you have 10 bridesmaids, they may only have two dressing rooms available… which means your girls may have to change together. Give your girls a heads up and let them know that they may have to change together or give them the option to bring a robe to make it easier to cover up in between changes. I would also let the girls know to wear a strapless bra, and nice pair of underwear, and to even bring a pair of Spanx if they normally wear this! It all helps make the dresses look better! If you are feeling really helpful, suggest your girls bring a pair of their favorite nude heels to complete the look and assist in the dress hunt!
- Think about hair-dos while trying on bridesmaid dresses. If you have already envisioned your beautiful bridal party with big loose curls falling down their shoulders then don’t buy a bridesmaid dress with a beaded sleeve or neckline, your girls’ hair will cover it up! Think ahead.
- Go ahead and ask the salon if they offer any special promotions, discounts or incentives. It is not rude to ask for this and most salons can offer something! Whether it is a discount, a reward memberships or a free garter; you never know until you ask!
- Be nice to your consultant. Their jobs are not easy and the nicer you are to them then the more comfortable they feel when they bestow their insider knowledge to you and your bridal party! This will also make the appointment feel more relaxed and easy going and FUN! Your sales consultant may work on commission but this is not always true. Do not treat the consultant as a server, they are so much more! The consultants’ priority is to help find you and your bridal party their dresses and offer their guidance and expertise along the way. Don’t forget this.
- Be flexible. If you find a dress you absolutely love and the next day the salon finds out this dress is back-ordered for 6 months, you need to stay calm. This back-ordered dress is one of many dresses that exist and if you were nice to your sales consultant during your visit, they will do their best to accommodate you with that exact dress or offering their expert advice on finding a similar style. There is a solution to every problem.
- Do what you can to make your entire bridesmaid party feel appreciated and loved by you. Yes, it is one of the highest honors to be chosen to stand up for someone’s wedding but don’t let your girls forget why you chose them! A wedding is a celebration of love between you and your partner but also to celebrate those around you whom you love and love you! Remember this.
To help you out on your research, click on the images below to check out the latest collections for Jasmine Belsoie, B2, and Jasmine Bridesmaids. It never hurts to start early : )